- Tvibit is a culture-house for young and creative people between the ages of 15 and 25. Tvibit is comprised of a café, a health-center for youth, the Project cradle, Tvibit Filmhouse, equipment-, building-, and personnel-rental, practice rooms, a stage, Nordic Youth Film Festival, cooperation with different cultural institutions and festivals, and other things. Tvibit has regular activities you can attend, such as for instance concerts, filmgroups and many others. You can also start your own activity/project, and we will help you getting started!
- The world is recreated everyday whether we like it or not. We can either passively accept a world created by others or actively participate in our surroundings and take control of our own situations. In order to develop a personal identity, active and conscious action is required. Tvibit helps put ideas and thoughts into action through breaking down structures and old thought-patterns. Tvibit’s methods are democratic – we un-intellectualize creativity and innovation. Tvibit is unafraid and unrelentless – if we meet opposition, we will complete the task anyway! The value in being able to affect one’s own society is not fully understood, but at Tvibit, the individual is presented with a forum within which they can experience and create change.
- Tvibit’s mission is to take an active stance against negative commercial ideals and diagnostic-thinking by offering an active environment wherein young people can take control of their own situations and form their own identities. This is done by empowering them to visualize their own, personal ideas and dreams and subsequently leads to an increased-awareness regarding the resources young people have to offer.
The vision is to make people, the city, and the region more aware of their own resources and ideas, and to encourage them to form their own identities – and by so doing – create a better world for themselves and others.
- Everyone has the resources to contribute in a positive way if they are able to develop trust, respect, engagement, and influence when it comes to their own situation. The opportunity to affect personal situations, local society, and the world around us is the most important value in society.
- Dare to make the impossible possible!
- Don’t be afraid of making mistakes!
- Dare to make a difference and change the world!
- Never forget where you come from!
- Remember to see and encourage others!
- Support the creation of ideas and achievement of dreams.
- Focus on culture and on being a resource and driving-force in Tromsø’s cultural sphere.
- Emphasize idea-fulfillment as the most important goal of Tvibit.
- Fulfill young people’s need for personal expression, personal exposure, and the need to have their own meeting place in the city.
- Build upon youth-participation and empowerment and view young people as resources.
- To be an instigator in making sure that the “youth cultural perspective” is rooted in all cultural institutions in Tromsø.
- To be an open environment where youth can easily become involved in new activities and environments.
- During its first six years of existence Tvibit has completed a number of cultural projects of different size. The house has been a festival- and production-center of great importance for many of the local cultural institutions in Tromsø. Young people who have gained experience through participating in these cultural projects are now making the decision to leave Tromsø in order to continue their growth and development. Because of this, Tromsø has now a greater need for a more active, challenging, and professional environment in which these young people can continue to develop and grow after Tvibit. Tvibit has a goal of taking on this challenge by creating the next level – Tvibit Plus (Level 2).
- Will make possible new and professional quality developments in youth competence-building and talent within the cultural arena and creative industry. Tvibit is now taking a natural next step towards further development with regards to already-existing follow-through capabilities and plans of action among youth and in various environments in Tvibit’s network.
GOALS 2010 and onwards:
- a) to ensure its foundation as a youth house and to give more young people the opportunity to develop and express themselves.
- b) to work systematically towards establishing Level 2 in Tromsø which would promote professional and semi-professional art and culture-initiatives.
- Increase young people’s opportunity to affect society through cultural initiatives.
- Improve young people’s decision-making skills and community-involvement through personal projects.
- Let young people develop their own identity through exporting themselves and by creating new activities.
- Create acceptance for the idea that cultural projects are a necessary laboratory for commercial development – culture as the laboratory of industry!
- Be a dynamo for development in the city and region through creative actions.
- Work towards a broader understanding of the ideal of sharing and being open with others.
- Increase awareness about Tromsø’s position in the world.
- To create an incubator and project-escalator for new cultural initiatives – Yoghurt
TVIBIT PLUS GOALS:
- To develop youth cinema into a global phenomenon through Nordic Youth Film Festival.
- Explore opportunities to develop a Regional Competence Center for film (in cooperation with Troms County).
- Initiate and influence a minimum of two film-productions.
- Develop and establish a production and competence center for rock and rhythmic music.
- Ensure relevance and quality when developing a visual-art study program.
- Further develop competencies within application-writing and follow-through for EU-projects.
- Find a minimum of five international partners.
- Complete a minimum of three international projects.
- Explore opportunities to further expand Tvibit into a culture house with regional responsibility.
- Support and assist in leading three new, important, and – as of today – still unknown, projects.
- Start a discussion about what Tvibit will be in 2010 and beyond. (“EXIT 2010”)